Rusty Star

A PLACE WHERE EVERYONE IS WELCOME WITHOUT BEING INVITED

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Close to Home: Part 1 (Coal Mining)

As some of you may know I grew up in Kentucky. Where I grew up - everyone knows a coal miner. To this day I can number more than 10 men in my family who still work in the mines.

As a child, my dad worked in the mines. He once had a mine cave in on him. Luckily all that happened was a broken ankle. Others haven't been as fortunate - one of my friends in high school lost her dad to the mines.

It's backbreaking work. My brother in law is 6'4" and has worked in a mine that is 48" tall. He basically worked a 12 hour shift while bent over. Most of the time, the miners will not use their protective masks because they are heavy and uncomfortable. This makes them highly prone to black lung. For those of you who don't know what that is..........imagine blowing up a balloon and then filling it with coal dust.

In eastern Kentucky, if you want to provide for your family....you worked in the mines. There weren't and still aren't alot of choices.....

Two weeks ago my brother applied to work in the mines...he needs the money to support his family.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:50 PM, Blogger The Mac Fam said…

    WOW. After what just happened I am sure the thought of him being down there chills you to the bone, we will pray for his safety.

     
  • At 12:19 PM, Blogger Matt Barrett said…

    I didn't know you grew up in KY. No doubt that the recent mine incident hits close to home. I'm still amazed they haven't found a safer way to mine coal. But then it would probably mean less jobs too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home